Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Free Cell Phone and Airtime

I had heard of "LifeLine" before as a company that provides a discount on your home phone bill if you qualify for it, but I just discovered that they have started a new program called "SafeLink Wireless" which offers a free cell phone program. You can only participate in one of the programs at a time though.

From their website:
SafeLink Wireless is a government supported program that provides a free cell phone and airtime each month for income-eligible customers.

I recently signed up for it myself so I could have a cell phone for emergencies and it was very easy to do.  I received the phone about a week after signing up.  I activated the phone and found that I will get 70 minutes/month (which varies by state) and the minutes roll over to the next month.  It's a very basic phone, but it does have text, voicemail, 3-way calling, call waiting, caller ID....)
For more information and to sign up, check out the SafeLink Wireless website.  And here is a fact sheet about the phones and the program itself.

No comments: