Thursday, January 12, 2012

Jalapeno, Bacon, and Pepper Jack Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe = Amazing!! {Trim Healthy Mama = S meal}


*Edit:  I forgot to include one of the best parts about this meal!  It was so cheap to make!  The entire meal (including the cucumbers and cherry tomatoes on the side), only cost $3.50 for both of us!!  Compare that to going out to eat at a restaurant.....it could easily cost over $20 + a tip!
What a delicious way to save money!  ;)  And it's perfect for Trim Healthy Mama -- a super yummy "S" meal! (I've lost 45 pounds so far on THM, mostly in about 6 months!)

My darling husband made us the. yummiest. dinner. last night!  I went to Zumba and Rite-Aid with my sister, so got home kind of late and I thought I'd just heat up some leftovers or something....but no way....my "live-in chef" had grander plans. ;)  He whipped up this stuffed chicken breast that was really creamy and flavorful.....it was so yummy, I couldn't believe the calories and carbs were so low!

We've been eating low-carb and low-fat -- focusing on lots of fresh fruits and veggies and lean meats.  So far it's been going really well, and we're feeling great!  We've found some yummy recipes, and come up with some healthier tweaks to the "regulars".  This recipe meets our nutrition requirements (low-fat, low-carb, high protein) and is EASY and delicious!!  It will definitely be on regular rotation!  =)

Jalapeno, Bacon, and Pepper Jack Stuffed Chicken Breast (THM - S)

(Recipe makes 2 servings.  Takes about 15 minutes.)

2 chicken breasts*
2 slices bacon, cooked and diced**
1/2 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
1 jalapeno, diced
1/4 cup onion, diced
3 Tbs. olive oil
Garlic powder (to taste)
Seasoning salt (to taste)
Onion powder (to taste)

1. Butterfly chicken breast and fill with bacon, cheese (saving a small amount to add to top of chicken when finished) and jalapeno.

2. In a skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat, then add chicken. Season with garlic powder, seasoning salt, and onion powder. Flip half way through (about 5 minutes, depending on size of chicken breast). Cook until chicken is done and cheese is melty and amazing.  ;)

3. Add onions to skillet after flipping. Top chicken with remaining cheese and sauteed onions. Enjoy!


Notes:
* Our chicken breasts were about 6oz. each.  We could've shared, but it was so yummy and I missed a meal earlier due to a busy day.....so we didn't.  ;)  Next time we'll probably use a smaller breast.  The nutrition facts would obviously change if you used smaller pieces of chicky.
** If you can stand turkey bacon (we are not fans, lol), that would reduce calories and fat even more.


I've been using SparkPeople.com (a great free tool!) to track my fitness and what I eat.  I plugged the chicken recipe into "dinner" last night and here's the nutrition data per serving.....(columns are l-r: calories, carbs, fat, protein)


Just in case you can't see the picture:
  • Calories = 346
  • Carbs = 3
  • Fat = 14 (use turkey bacon/low fat cheese for less)
  • Protein = 49


If you try it, let us know how you like it!  It's really so easy (especially when your husband makes it)  ;), inexpensive, and easily customized with some variations......I'm thinking maybe spinach, bacon and mozzarella.......ham and cheddar.......lots of possibilities!  =)


Linking up:

Tip Junkie handmade projects

4 comments:

Miriam@BeBookBound said...

No...way... I think I actually have all the stuff for this! Yay! Dinner tomorrow is covered! Thanks for sharing.

very merry vintage style said...

All my favorite things in this recipe! Stop by and link up if you have time!
Mary

Leslie said...

Yum!!!I Love Spicy - can't wait to try...

plussizeannie said...

This looks so good, it is definitely going on my menu plan soon!!! I shared this in a Recipe Roundup on my blog, Plus Size to Downsized!!! Thanks so much for the great ideas!