Tuesday, November 1, 2011

DIY Star Wars Costumes (Baby Yoda, Princess Leia, Mace Windu, and an Ewok)


I had so much fun putting these costumes together!  We had a very small budget and we waited 'til the last minute (of course, lol), so very little time too.  Luckily they were quick, cheap, and easy!

Not even a week left before Halloween, a neighbor suggested we dress our one and a half year old son, Lucas, up as Yoda because he's small and wobbly and it would be a perfect time.  We hadn't decided on costumes yet, and it sounded like a good idea. 

I love having the kids at least all dress in the same theme.....some years they've been on board, other times they all have their own ideas, which is fine too.....but it's just so cute to have them coordinate!  =)  A couple years ago (before Lucas was born) we went with a Wizard of Oz theme that turned out so great!


While I'm not a huge fan of the Star Wars movies, as we thought about it, we realized that we already had a Stormtrooper outfit in the dress up box from a previous year's clearance rack, a light saber (we do have 3 boys after all, lol), and my husband has a long grey robe that my mom made for my dad years ago and lends itself very well to a Star Wars-y feel. 

So, once we decided to go for the Star Wars thing, I took the kids to a local thrift store to see what we could find.  We came back with this.............

 {long brown robe - $3.99}
 {furry vest, coat collar thingy, and thin brown hood = $4.25}
 {mint green polyester shirt, tan sweater = $3.50}
 {white choir robe/graduation type gown = $1}

Mace Windu:

The brown robe was my 11 year olds choice for Mace Windu (don't even ask me who that is, lol).  I had planned on removing the floral embroidery, but those darn threads would not come out!  So, we turned it inside out, cut off the tag, and we were good to go! He carried a light saber.

Ewok:
The brown vest, collar and hood were to make an Ewok costume for my 4 year old.  When we got home, Emma asked about wearing her bear costume that she wore last year, that I had completely forgotten about!  I put them together for the cutest Ewok I'd ever seen.  I added a little eyeliner to her nose and she kept telling people she was an "E-walker".  =)
Here's Em as a bear last year.....

Yoda:
I had been hoping to find a Yoda hat/ears at the thrift store, but they didn't have anything pre-made.  When I saw the collar on that shirt though I knew the pointy greenness would be perfect!  I wanted it to be a darker green....not so, minty, but for $1.50 - it worked.

I put the most work into "Yoda".  I cut off the pointy ends of the collar, put part of a paper towel inside the pocket it made, to keep the ears from being floppy, then sewed them shut.
I was going to try to attach the ears to a hat, but after I looked around online, I decided to make a little hood that I could tie closed so Lucas would keep it on (hopefully!).  I made a hood similar to this, and then sewed a couple strips of the material to it.  If I had more time I would've sewn the ears into the hood, but we were getting down to the wire and I just went with some "fancy" safety pins to attach them.

It would've been much easier if I had a sewing machine (or one that works anyways!), but I finished the whole thing by hand in about 3 hours......I did have to take out a whole row of stitches because of a mistake.....and I cut out two of the same exact shapes for the hood instead of flipping the image, so the hem is the wrong way on one side, but it worked out fine.....no one noticed or cared.  =)


I then put the tan sweater on him and wrapped a rope for a belt around it. I guessed how long the sleeves should be and cut them off.  I didn't worry about the edges being real straight or even since Yoda's robe was pretty rugged.  The length of the body ended up being perfect just as it was!  We found a little piece of wood that worked for a cane, and he loved carrying it around!

Princess Leia:
Grace's costume was as simple as putting on the gown, putting a belt around her middle and braiding a bun on each side of her head.


Randy wore the grey robe to be Emperor Palpatine, Jacob put on the Stormtrooper costume, and we were ready to trick or treat!




So, for $12.75, we had a Star Wars cast that I thought was just adorable!  Less than what many costumes cost for just one!  I'm quite happy with how it turned out.....what do you think?

Now, what should next years theme be??  .....maybe I can get an earlier start than 3 days.  ;)


Linking up.....

  HookingupwithHoH

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Spectacular!!! I'm am totally impressed!!! Plus, there's not much I love more in life then a GREAT DEAL!!! I'm totally following you, too!!!

Aimee @ ItsOverflowing

Homemade Heather said...

First ~ I love family Halloween Custumes! Second ~ I might love Star Wars even more!! On the short list for next year and PINNED!! TFS!
xo
Heather
www.twindragonflydesigns.com

aNNa said...

I'd never thought of Star Wars... but that's a GREAT idea for in the future. Thank you for the inspiration! We also did 'Wizard of Oz'... yo can see it here:

http://www.coolest-homemade-costumes.com/coolest-wizard-of-oz-family-costume-19.html

And last year we did Harry Potter:

http://www.coolest-homemade-costumes.com/coolest-harry-potter-family-costume-14.html

Might be a fun idea for you to submit your pictures, too!

We've also done 'Peter Pan', Western Posse, and Pirate Crew. This year I'm thinking The Muppets, but we'll see.

Mara @ Super Savings said...

Those are great costumes Anna! I *love* those other ideas you suggested...I just may "steal" one for this year! ;)

~ Mara

The CSI Girl said...

They are all so cute! I hope you will link this up to The CSI Project starting tonight. The challenge is DIY Halloween Costumes. You just might win!!!!

www.thecsiproject.com

Army Wife Quilter said...

very cool idea. happy halloween.

Mara @ Super Savings said...

Thanks CSI Girl! I had trouble accessing your linky party in time, but I left a link in the comments to share it anyway. =)

Thank you Army Wife Quilter! =)

~ Mara