Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Ever....Seriously!



I know a lot of cookies claim to be the best, but we have tried a lot, and this one is the winner! With Christmas baking in full swing, I thought this is a perfect time to share it.

Here's the story....
My husband loves chocolate chip cookies.....he always liked the cookies I'd bake, but none were "as good as Grandma and Grandpa's".  He grew up visiting Grandma and Grandpa where they had the most delicious cookies just waiting for him in the cookie jar......and whatever I made just couldn't compare with those fond memories.


Come to find out, these "magic" cookies were simply the recipe on the Nestle Toll House bag and they used half butter, half margarine.  We tried recreating them, but they were just "eh".  So, my quest began....I wanted to find the most delicious recipe that would really wow the hubzy.


I looked up recipes online and read ratings.....searched for "best chocolate chip cookes".....found incredible info on the science of cookies.....asked friends opinions on Facebook and got lots of suggestions.....we found and made many good recipes, but none that blew us away . . . . . . .UNTIL this one!!


I just happened to come across a blog that had a recipe that said it was the best and sounded very convincing!  I tried it and oh. my. lanta......yum!! 

Soft and chewy on the inside, crispy on the outside, they don't flatten out too much, just the right amount of chocolate, and they're easy.......they immediately went to the top of the pile and the hubzy was really impressed!  I stopped my search and have made these ever since!


The blog I found it on is no longer public, so I can't direct you to it, but I knew I had to share the recipe.....

THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES.....EVER
1 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 box (5.1oz) vanilla instant pudding
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 1/2 c. flour

1. Cream together the butter and sugars.

2. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.

3. In a separate bowl, mix the pudding, baking soda and salt together.  Add to wet ingredients.

4. Stir in the chocolate chips. Add flour bit by bit until texture is right (you should be able to roll dough into a ball in your hands.....add flour if too sticky).  Mix well.

5. Preheat oven to 350.  Bake on ungreased cookie sheet until edges are just browning, about 12-14 minutes.


A couple notes:
  • I usually put in the flour first and then the chocolate chips and they turn out fine either way.
  • I use a scoop from Pampered Chef to make them all - it goes fast and they're the same size so they cook evenly
  • We like the semi-sweet chips the best, but you could obviously swap them out for dark, milk, butterscotch....etc.
  • Not that you would eat raw cookie dough, but it's delicious!!  ;)
{made with pumpkin pudding mix}

We've also made the recipe with different flavored puddings -- it's a super easy way to change it up!  I was out of vanilla pudding and substituted Pumpkin Pie Spice flavor instead.....delish.  I want to try it next with chocolate pudding and have a "Double Chocolate Cookie".



Try these.....seriously!  Then let me know what you think!  You're going to love them -- guaranteed or your money back.  ;)


Linking up:



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Except for 1/4 c flour, this is the Toll House recipe!

Mara @ Super Savings said...

1/4 cup of flour and a box of pudding. =)
I'd never compared them before, but you're right that they're very close....I think the pudding is what makes all the difference!

~ Mara

DoveNH said...

I made these for my boyfriend, who not only loved them, but shared them with his family who loved them as well. Thank you so much! I will use this recipe for years to come.

Unknown said...

Years ago, when I was a teenager (so in the 70s)Jell-o Pudding used to have this recipe on the inside of the box. I don't know why they stopped, but I'm super glad to have come across this post. Now I have the recipe again!

By the way, they're terrific with chocolate pudding, as well as with butterscotch!

Mara said...

Yay, I'm happy to help you have the recipe again, Lynn! =) We just made a "turtle" version this Christmas - chocolate pudding, turtle pudding (a seasonal edition), toffee bits, pecan bits, white chocolate chips, and dark chocolate chunks...they were fantastic!! I really want to try them with butterscotch next!

~ Mara