Thursday, May 24, 2012

4th of July Fruit Kabobs Recipe! Fun, easy and healthy recipe for kids to help with!



Here's a really yummy way to celebrate the 4th of July (or Memorial Day) with a fun red, white, and blue treat!  Since it's Summer, many fruits are in season and this makes it a perfect frugal recipe/activity to make with the kids!  It's easy and healthy too!

I originally saw this recipe on Frugal Girls a couple years ago and when we had a family reunion over July 4th last year, I thought this would be perfect for both the oodles of little ones and the adults! They were a hit!

I started by assembling my ingredients:
  • Skewers
  • Star Shaped Marshmallows (I've seen them at Walmart and Meijer.  You could also use regular marshmallows too)
  • Red and Blue fruit (I used strawberries, blueberries, and red grapes)
{^ that's almost exactly what my ingredients looked like, but I couldn't take a good picture with the cell phone - thanks Frugal Girls!}


Then I stuck the fruit and marshmallows on the skewers in fun patterns.  Done!
{I apologize for the poor quality pictures, I misplaced the camera - then found it about 30 minutes after these were gobbled up, lol.  So, cell phone pics will have to do}  =)



The skewers are sharp, so be careful!  But kids can help by:
  • picking which fruits to buy/use
  • washing fruits
  • handing you fruits and marshmallows
  • assembling the patterns of how they want them on the kabob (ie: 2 blueberries, 1 white marshmallow, 3 blueberries, 1 blue marshmallow....etc.)
  • older kiddles could thread the ingredients onto the skewer

Other red, white, and blue ingredients you could use....
Red:
  • Strawberries
  • Raspberries
  • Cherries
  • Grapes
  • Watermelon chunks/balls
  • Red grapefruit
  • Red Pears

White:
  • Marshmallows (mini, large, stars...)
  • Pound cake cut into chunks or shapes with a cookie cutter
  • Dragonfruit (white and black inside)
  • Banana (tossed with lemon juice to keep from browning)
  • White nectarines or peaches
  • Pears (peeled - and again, tossed with lemon juice)
  • Pineapple (white-ish)  =)
  • Angel food cake

Blue:
  • Blueberries
  • Blackberries
  • Raisins

{Here's a great flag version Brianna made that I found on Pinterest!}




I think these would be really fun for other occasions too!  Rainbow colored for a birthday party - or use the colors of a favorite sports team for a game day party.  What do you think?  Any other ideas?


Linking up to.....
Tip 
Junkie handmade projects







2 comments:

aNNa said...

Thanks for providing other 'white' alternatives - I saw the marshmallows and was a little deflated at first, as we're Jewish and finding kosher marshmallows (non-gelatin) is nearly impossible in GR.

BTW, I just found your blog this morning and am loving it. Thank you for all that you share. I'm also a SAHM of five (ages two to twelve) in the greater GR area, so these deals are wonderful!

Mara @ Super Savings said...

You're very welcome Anna! I like to use what we have on hand if possible, so I thought some extra ideas would be good for others too - so glad they helped you!

And I'm happy that you're here! =) My 5 are currently 2-12 also (I'm not sure if my "About Me" is up to date, lol)....and we're expecting #6 in November. Always nice to hear from a fellow "big family mom"! =)

~ Mara