Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Great Big List of FREE and Cheap Kids Activities and Ideas for Summer!!

{my sweet pea Emma last year at Lake Michigan}

Summer break tends to make me a little nervous.  At first it's all fun and games, but then the novelty starts to wear off and the dreaded "I'm bored" starts to make an appearance....and with 5 littles, it can quickly turn into a giant headache.  I usually nip that in the bud by doling out a chore or two, but I thought I'd be a bit more proactive this year, lol.  I love all the opportunities for fun and family bonding in the Summer, but sometimes it takes a little planning.  The kids are growing up so fast (cliche, but true!), and I want to take advantage of the time to build memories together.

I've been brainstorming and dreaming up lots of fun frugal ideas and activities to keep the kids busy this Summer, and was going to write a list to post here.  But then I was looking up a few resources and came across some amazing lists already written and thought I'd share those instead - no need to reinvent the wheel.  ;)  There will be no chance of anyone getting bored with all these possibilities!!

I'm planning on printing out a bunch of these and letting the kids highlight the ones they love.  Then either writing them into a blank calendar to schedule the fun or put the favorite ideas onto slips of paper and drawing them out of a jar for more spontaneous adventures!

Check these out:
Brassy Apple has a great list of activities.  The link to ideas for different themed picnics is super and my very favorite is the list of "100 days of Summer"!  Just oodles of ideas!  Ooh, I just saw this link to making placemats with the kiddles and with all the free magazines around, that would be perfect for a fun artsy project!



Today Is Fun is a website entirely "dedicated to helping adults entertain the kids in their lives. The ideas here will keep kids happy and occupied for hours on end, without you having to spend money or buy more stuff. The tips are always entertaining, often educational and developmentally appropriate. We are here to help parents, home schoolers, teachers, and more."  Lots of tips and ideas for Summer and all year 'round!  And from the ideas I skimmed over, they look very simple to do - bonus!  =)



Andrea at Simple Organized Living has posted a great list of 22 Summer activities for kids - all FREE and all technology free!!  L.o.v.e. that!  I don't know about your kids, but mine are drawn to a screen like bugs to a bug zapper, lol!  We probably limit it more than most, but it seems like that's still their go to.  And they're probably getting tired of hearing me say, "when we were your age, we didn't even have {fill-in-the-blank} and we survived!"  ;)   I love things that show the kids that there's lots of fun to be had without plugging anything in! 

 SimpleOrganizedLiving.com


Frugal Girls has a list full of frugal ideas!  Including links to Summer reading programs, Free and cheap movies, free bowling, and kid safe websites - all great options to beat the heat over the next few months!
{A couple theaters with Summer promotions they didn't list are Cinemark and Goodrich Quality theaters.}
 


Here's a lens on Squidoo with over 100 Kids Summer Activities! Lots and lots of fun ideas!


Homeschool.com has another list of "101 things to do this Summer" - lots of activities, lots of links!



Crystal & Co. has a really nice list of 80 FREE or inexpensive things to do this Summer, and I really like that she has it broken up into a few categories so if you are looking for something to "Make" or to "Go" do, you know just where to look!  {I think we'll do a couple of the printable "Mad Libs" tonight!}




After looking through all these ideas, I feel like Summer won't be nearly long enough!! {If I'm missing for a while, you can bet it'll be because of these fun ideas!} 
In additional to the hundreds already mentioned, here are some of our own plans for Summer that I didn't see (though there's plenty I didn't have a chance to read yet!):
  • Cooking with Mom - the oldest three (ages 11, 9, and 7) will get one weeknight a week to pick what we have for dinner and check to make sure we have the ingredients.  Then on their assigned night they will be my helper and it be chance for some one-on-one time, as well as practicing some math and science to keep it fresh over the Summer.  I also want to bake up some treats with the kids and let them decorate cookies or cupcakes just for fun. {Maybe we'll do that and then let them set up a lemonade stand like the beautiful one over at IHeart Organizing!}
  • Volunteering - my husband and I recently watched Soul Surfer and greatly enjoyed it.  We were however both a little convicted that we haven't gotten the kids more involved in volunteer work and missions.  We would love to give them the opportunity to serve and see other people's walks of life and cultivate more gratitude for everything we've been blessed with.
  • Sock or Swim Mopping - I'll fill a bucket with warm soapy water and let the kids don either swimsuits or socks and shorts.  They'll dip themselves in the water, then splash and slide around the kitchen and dining room.  When they're done we'll wipe up the water with the floors a little cleaner and kids a little wetter.  ;)

What are your favorite cheap or free Summer activities?  What works for your family?  What's your favorite new idea you saw on these lists? 



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Thanks for such a neat list!! I have 5 kids to entertain this summer and this will come in super duper handy!!
Sarah

Mara said...

You're welcome! I have 5 kids as well, and I think this list will cover them all! =) So glad you stopped by Sarah!

~ Mara