Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Caramel Apple Cake recipe - so yummy!



As the weather's gotten cooler and the leaves are starting to change color, I have begun to crave yummy fall treats - especially anything apple or pumpkin! 

I was on Pinterest the other day and came across this incredible looking recipe for Caramel Apple Cake and oh.my.yum......it did not disappoint!  It's originally a Paula Deen recipe and I haven't tried anything of hers yet that wasn't delicious!  She is such a genius/monster!!  ;)

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil (I used coconut oil instead)
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts (I used 1/2 c. pecan bits)
2 1/2 cups diced apples, canned or fresh (I used fresh, and next time would add more)

Preheat oven 350 degrees.  Cream together sugar, eggs, and oil.  Add flour; mix together until well blended.  Add vanilla, nuts, and diced apples.  Spread into a lightly greased and floured 13 x 9-inch baking dish; bake for 45 to 60 minutes.  Cake is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  When cake is done, punch holes in it with a knife and pour topping over.

Poke holes in the cake before drizzling with caramel topping

Caramel Topping:
(this is half the original topping recipe, but I thought it was plenty!)
1 1/2 stick of butter
1 cup of brown sugar
1/8 cup of milk
Pour topping over warm cake (this picture doesn't even do it justice!)

Heat all ingredients together over medium heat.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Let boil for about 2 minutes.  Pour over warm cake.
Serves 15-20

It was easy and the most delicious dessert I've had in a long time! We (um...I) ate the last piece today and it was a bittersweet bite.  I really want to make another pan, but I better wait....at least until tomorrow - it's dangerously good!  This is going on my go-to recipe list for sure!!

 

No comments: