Thursday, February 23, 2012

2 Minutes to Extend the Life of Your Dryer -- and Save Money on Utility Bills Too!

{these are not mine.....but a girl can dream right?}

I recently found this great pin on Pinterest called "17 Tips to Make Your Life Easier".  I was immediately interested and pinned it to check it out another day.  I finally got around to reading it and there were some great money and time saving nuggets in there!!

One of them was to make sure your clean your dryer's lint filter because dryer sheets create a waxy build-up and prevent the lint screen from working as well.  It keeps the damp air from escaping the dryer so it's less efficient.....running longer and using more energy/gas....which means more money out of your pocket!  AND, it can cause the heating unit to burn out, sending your dryer to appliance heaven....or even worse -- cause a fire!

{before washing the screen}

I thought I'd check this out on my own lint screen and it worked great!  When I first ran water onto the screen, it pooled and drained slowly.  It only took a minute or so to put some hot soapy water in the sink and scrub it with a toothbrush I reserve for doing dishes.  Then I rinsed the suds off and the water ran right through!  I can only imagine how much easier the air will pass through!

This discovery was perfectly timed, because the kids had just been mentioning that their laundry was coming out a little damp even after running a complete cycle.  I hadn't noticed that myself......but maybe that's because my baskets of laundry often sit for a few days.....so maybe they dry out by then?  ;)
{after cleaning it....see how the water goes right through?}

I'm looking forward to seeing if we notice a difference.  But even if we don't see the change, my mind is at ease knowing that it's running safer than before.  I thought I should share the tip with you to help you save money and extend the life of your appliance -- and, it's really quick and easy to do!  My favorite kind of super savings!  ;)




You might also be interested in:


No comments: