Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Strawberry "Lazy Cake Cookies" recipe - and 5-year old birthday fun!



I was looking on Pinterest for an easy and yummy recipe to whip up for my daughter's birthday last week, and discovered this fun website, I'm a Lazy Mom, where she shares all kinds of "lazy" tips and tricks - and she's funny too!  She says "lazy", I say "simplify"!  ;)


Emma's birthday was on Thursday, and I was leaving that evening for 4 days, so it had to be easy because I had so many things left to do (like pack!), but I wanted it to be special too!  This Lazy Cake Cookie recipe worked perfectly!


Here's the original recipe:

  • 1 box yellow or white cake mix
  • 2 eggs beaten
  • 5 T melted butter
  • 2 C M&M's or mini chocolate chips
Mix together, put in a 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for 20 min!

Once I put it in the 9x13 pan it didn't look like enough batter, so I almost switched to an 8x8 pan, but it was just fine.  It really helped to wet my hands before spreading it out, so it didn't stick to my hands at all.

Lucas was so happy to be part of the birthday fun!

It was just that simple!  It's so easy to change up however you like too!  My daughter wanted to use a strawberry cake mix with chocolate chips - it turned out yummy!




I'm excited about trying the other combination possibilities too - I'm thinking about a chocolate cake mix with Reese's pieces/peanut butter cups, spice cake mix with cinnamon chips....mmm! 
(They're similar to brownies in that if you want them to be a little "fudgy" make sure not to overcook them! I would cook ours a little less next time, but they were still great just like they were!)

Here's the birthday girl in her "My Little Pony" dress-up outfit and accessories I found clearanced at Target. They were originally priced at $34, but I found it for only $10!  Score!  ;)


While she was sleeping the night before her birthday, I taped pink and purple streamers to her doorway, so she'd start the day with fun when she woke up.  We had fans blowing to cool the house, so they danced around too.  =)  (I couldn't get a better picture since I was trying to be sneaky and not turn any more lights on, lol)


No comments: